Friday, July 27, 2012

First Day In London

Well here we are, all six of us (so, so far all is good). We just got up and bathed the kiddos. I sorta know what time it is here, I'm not sure what time it is back home, and my body has absolutely no idea what time it is. It's been quite a struggle to adjust to the time change. The kids slept till 3:30pm today (off and on) and still woke up grumpy.

Being the kids and my first international overseas flight, we didn't know what to expect but it was really exciting. They didn't sleep much on the plane so it was stressful at times but we got through it with no real crisis'. For me it was really novel to eat all the single-serving individually-wrapped food items during the flight. I kept thinking of the Fight Club scene where Brad Pitt was talking about our single-serving world. Also, speaking of pop culture references, my first thought when we entered the plane was "so these are the people we might have to spend the next few years with if we crash onto a deserted island." I couldn't help but to feverishly scan the plane to check out which flight companions might be most useful to buddy up with in case of that event. ("Lost" reference)

Today will be a day of adjusting and getting our barings in London as it is our first real day being settled. We're going to Canada Olympic House at Terfalfar Square to watch the opening ceremonies which will be really exciting, especially if/when Reuben gets any face-time on camera. He dives on Aug 1st at 3pm London time (7 hours dif). And also on that day CTV National News is going to be shooting a story on Reuben Ross and his 39 family members who made the trip to London to cheer him on. I'll keep you posted on that!

Bye for now!
Danny (and famjam)

Ps. We're fortunate enough to be staying with some tremendously lovely and hospitable hosts here in London. Props to them and I'll talk them up a little more in another post with pics!





No comments:

Post a Comment